Friday 10 August 2012

The inner thoughts of unemployment

So here I am. Unemployed and in my 40's. This is the way things are in the UK now. The DWP (Department for Work and Pensions) has sub contracted in a way their work load for helping people to find work to outside companies. One of which I attend. The one I attend is run by Best Training. This was bought by Interserve, a large company that does loads of jobs in areas such as cleaning, Aviation and defense contracts including overseas work. Since they have bought out Best Interserve has updated the computers that were basically beyond the joke. It took 5 minutes to load on page from Directgov website. You can look for work and it would take a half hour just to apply for one job. This created despondency in the computer use. It was a running joke for some. Some of these people who really wanted to work for an employer had given up looking. It was as though Best wanted to keep them.
So Interserve update their computers to make it run better. About time. This takeover would net the owners of Best if they cashed in their share of about £2M sterling. They get a healthy profit and their workers get job insecurity. Now that is all well and good but their own computers that they use for diary and appointments is to my adviser at best is "rubbish". For months I went every fortnight after declaring that I had done no work paid or unpaid in the last two weeks. 45 minutes later and less than 600 yards down the road I turn up there. It was a mutual thing that I was happy with.
Now they have changed me over to another person. I was supposed to have a meeting next Tuesday (August 14). That has been put back to Wednesday a week later to August 22nd. This means I have had no contact with Best/Interserve for nearly a month. These are the ones that report to the DWP if I have done enough to look for work. It seems they are the ones not fulfilling their obligation in helping the unemployed looking to get into work by changing times.
Which leads me onto my brother. The changed the times with him from Fridays to Tuesdays and Wednesdays. It was not a concise date that he was being allowed to go in for. So he missed one day and then they report this to the DWP and money is stopped. It is their fault they can not put a time and date correctly in place that is a set standard. Yeah right, says I composing a double negative that is supposed to not exist. They mess up times and not be concise about their allocations and if you miss you suffer with no money.
It is not our failings in the UK that someone decides not to put a standard appointment time down so you have a concise habit and a routine. It is those that have jobs who work with inferior machines of which one of their people said that they have to see clients, upload their Curriculum Vitae from a scanner that is slower than a snail on Valium, bypass the firewall and edit all documents while spending their day dealing with people. Even that person is wanting to get a decent job. If they want a job better than finding people work, what chance do we have on the unemployment line?

No comments:

Post a Comment